[Catalyst] Why I chose Perl and Catalyst

Hermida, Leandro Leandro.Hermida at fmi.ch
Tue Feb 13 14:25:30 GMT 2007

Hi everyone,

Do not want to start any kind of language war or anything - just need
some concrete, objective opinions and advice.  We are starting a brand
new web application + services + database project and my boss ("those
who make the decisions") asked me as project lead why I am chosing the
Perl/Catalyst/DBIx::Class/CPAN stack instead of Java/J2EE/Some Java
framework or .NET/C#/Microsoft.  In the case of this project since we
are starting from scratch there is no initially evident reason (like in
the previous example where there was already existing code that would
influence the decision).  From my experience with Java and C# we could
do it using those languages.

Any insight or advice as to why would one prefer a Perl stack over a
Java or .NET one?  It seems that a lot of people (including my boss)
think that Perl cannot compete when one is trying to do "enterprise"
applications.  In some ways (please tell me if I am wrong) it might be
true because Perl exhibits very few rules and standards and very little
built-in control over how you write your code when compared to the Java
and C# paradigm, syntax and compilation rules.  This seems to make it
much more difficult when writing very modular, reusable OO code in a
distributed team of developers.

In general are there people out there using Perl for some things and
then finding the need to step to a more controlled and standardized
language like Java, C#, others??

Thanks,

Leandro