[Catalyst] Why I chose Perl and Catalyst

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Tue Feb 13 14:34:31 GMT 2007

Hermida, Leandro wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> =

> Do not want to start any kind of language war or anything - just need
> some concrete, objective opinions and advice.  We are starting a brand
> new web application + services + database project and my boss ("those
> who make the decisions") asked me as project lead why I am chosing the
> Perl/Catalyst/DBIx::Class/CPAN stack instead of Java/J2EE/Some Java
> framework or .NET/C#/Microsoft.  In the case of this project since we
> are starting from scratch there is no initially evident reason (like in
> the previous example where there was already existing code that would
> influence the decision).  From my experience with Java and C# we could
> do it using those languages.
> =

> Any insight or advice as to why would one prefer a Perl stack over a
> Java or .NET one?  It seems that a lot of people (including my boss)
> think that Perl cannot compete when one is trying to do "enterprise"
> applications.  In some ways (please tell me if I am wrong) it might be
> true because Perl exhibits very few rules and standards and very little
> built-in control over how you write your code when compared to the Java
> and C# paradigm, syntax and compilation rules.  This seems to make it
> much more difficult when writing very modular, reusable OO code in a
> distributed team of developers.
> =

> In general are there people out there using Perl for some things and
> then finding the need to step to a more controlled and standardized
> language like Java, C#, others??
> =

> Thanks,
> =

> Leandro

I do Cat/DBIC/Perl at night, and .NET by day. If you value MVC, or good
separation of the view, don't go with .NET/C#/Microsoft. However,
they're both good at what they do, albeit it in different ways.

The real question is not which is better, but what are the goals of the
project in question, and what language best meets those goals.