[Catalyst] Re: Redirect status codes (was: HTTP redirect - delayed Firefox)

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Tue Feb 13 20:25:42 GMT 2007

* Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> [2007-02-12 11:45]:
> On 10 Feb 2007, at 08:30, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> >Actually, 302 means “repeat the same request at this other
> >URI” whereas 303 means “please retrieve this other URI using
> >GET.” The difference is that strictly according to RFC, 302
> >means the request should be repeated with the same method, so
> >if you return a 302 to the browser in response to a POST, the
> >browser would have to repeat the full POST at the redirect
> >target address.
>
> I've never seen anything except a GET sent after a 302 though.
>
> Ain't browsers grand.

Yeah, for all intents and purposes the original meaning of 302 is
pretty much lost now.

There was an excellent writeup of the issue by Andrew J. Flavell:
http://ppewww.physics.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/www/post-redirect.html

Unfortunately it’s 404 now. I found a link to a mirror on Google,
but that too is 404. However, the Google cache still has a copy:
http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:www.notes.slim.summitmedia.co.uk/post-redirect/www/post-redirect.html

I better file this away somewhere before that too gets lost…

Regards,