[Catalyst] Date::Calc and Date::Calendar with Catalyst?

Jason Kohles email at jasonkohles.com
Sun Feb 25 20:07:03 GMT 2007

On Feb 24, 2007, at 6:22 PM, Dave Morriss wrote:

> On 23/02/07, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:
>> Dave Morriss wrote:
>> > Question 1: Will I need to build my own plugin to achieve what I
>> want,
>> > or is there another way?
>>
>> It's unlikely that you'll want to use a plugin.  Plugins should be
>> reserved for things that modify Catalyst's usual request cycle.
>> Pagecache, Static::Simple, and ConfigLoader are good examples of
>> plugins; Prototype is a bad example.
>
> I thought, based on the way C::P::DateTime is put together, that
> plugins are also used as a way of making non-Catalyst modules
> available in the Catalyst namespace. From the way I interpret the
> documentation you referred to I reckon I _could_ do something like
> that. You seem to be recommending against it.

Catalyst::Plugin::DateTime is a very good example of something that
has no business being a plugin.  It pollutes the namespace with not
one, but two useless methods (that do the exact same thing, no less)
and gains nothing from being a plugin, it could very easily have been
a module (in fact, take a look at the source, it does almost nothing
anyway).

--
Jason Kohles
email at jasonkohles.com
http://www.jasonkohles.com/
"A witty saying proves nothing."  -- Voltaire