[Catalyst] Article on web frameworks ommits Catalyst

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Jan 2 15:32:25 GMT 2007

On 2 Jan 2007, at 14:33, John Napiorkowski wrote:

> --- Kieren Diment <diment at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> There's an article, "Web Framework Manifesto" here:
>>
> http://blog.lostlake.org/index.php?/archives/16-Web-Framework-
> Manifesto.html
>>
>> I've written a comment in the article suggesting
>> that this is a pretty major
>> ommission and that he might want to evaluate
>> Catalyst and do an update.  The
>> author seems coherent and reasonably knowledgable to
>> me, so how bout it
>> guys?  Maybe you should let him know his mistake
>> too?
>
> This is actually quite an interesting thoughtdump on
> what we'd like in a web development framework.  Some
> of the things mentioned, such as a great dispatching
> system, straightforward ORM support and easy to extend
> APIS (Plugins, customized Controllers, Views or
> Models) we have.  However some of the things mentioned
> I don't see as current strong points of Catalyst, such
> as the idea of web pages being highly componentized
> and capable of managing their own state.  This could
> just be my ignorance though.

I don't really think that belongs in Catalyst base; I'm implementing
highly componentised UI development with automatic state management
in Reaction and I'm not finding doing so "on top" of Catalyst any
harder than it'd be to hack it into the core.

> The article is big on continuations.  Catalyst has a
> plugin for this but I'm not sure many people know what
> to do with it or what the advantages could be.  To be
> honest I'm not someone that could answer that
> question.

Web development is effectively stateless - or at least HTTP is. I
tend to find continuation usage is almost invariably an XY problem -
i.e. if you need continuations to implement your design, you should
probably rethink it.

--
Matt S Trout, Technical Director, Shadowcat Systems Ltd.
Offering custom development, consultancy and support contracts for