[Catalyst] IMPORTANT: Catalyst::Plugin::FormBuilder obsoleted by ::Controller::FormBuilder

Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek rs at 474.at
Wed Jan 3 14:33:09 GMT 2007

Daniel McBrearty wrote:

> another thing : doesn't that imply that you have to install the
> deprecated plugin before the DepPlugins Plugin jumps up an says "you
> shouldn't ha' done that jimmy ..." (presumably before breathing
> alcohol at you and pissing in your flower pots).

What's "that"? I didn't say that. Firstly people surely will have to
install it themselves, later on it can be included or required by
-Devel. But people would also need to check the Wiki for every plugin
they decide to use, and regularly revisit and check against their
existing apps.

> All that is really needed is that instead of installing something and
> having the Cat::Plugin::MST say "don't use that" on this list, there
> is a master list someplace. At least then, a noob should only make the
> mistake once ...

IMHO this is not (only) about the people who are told to "look here and
there for $reason on not to use $module," but the unknown numbers of
people just "using stuff off CPAN." I'm thinking more about the "Hi, I'm
using $Crap since $TooLong to develop $ImportantProject, and now I have
problems with $TheUsualShit" newcomers, who corner themselves without
knowing.

> and I don't see why it's harder, frankly, to maintain such a list on a
> wiki than in the code of a plugin. I really dislike the idea of
> allocating memory to code that is just stopping me do something that I
> ought to know about anyway.

So? Let the plugin parse it's own POD and make a link from the wiki to
search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Plugin-XY/lib/Catalyst/Plugin/XY/List.pm.

An online resource, at least in it's POD, would be mandatory anyway,
since instead of simply saying a module is bad, we should tell people
_why_ it is bad. Or the next guy is going to use the failure in his own
module again.

--
# Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek
# Perl 5/Catalyst Developer in Hamburg, Germany