[Catalyst] C::V::PDF? (Anybody have one?)

Sébastien Wagener sebastien.wagener at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 20:53:40 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 09:21 -0800, Dylan Vanderhoof wrote:
> I figured I'd ask here real quickly before I try to write one.
>
> Anybody made a Catalyst::View::PDF of some sort?  It looks like I'm
> going to have to be dealing with some PDF output, so I figured I'd avoid
> reinventing the wheel if at all possible.
I'm currently using Template::Latex, and I have written a quick and
dirty hack that subclasses C::V::TT
http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uibjk/files/TT.pm
I just did not figure out how to tell C::V::TT to use Template::Latex
instead of Template without doing too much copy&paste. I ended up
running new() of C::V::TT and stealing the config of the Template object
that has been instantiated. So, now I have a Template and a
Template::Latex object, therefore I'm using the view for both purposes,
depending on $c->stash->{output_pdf}. You've been warned...
I would appreciate anybody proposing a cleaner solution, but it seems to
work for my simple purposes;-)

If you do not like LaTeX, alternatives have been proposed in the
following thread:
http://lists.rawmode.org/pipermail/catalyst/2006-June/008048.html
Though I do not think anyone has published a ready-to-use C::V::PDF
until now.

XML::ApacheFOP sound interesting (if you do not have to take care of
your server resources...), and it would not be that difficult to write a
C::View for it.

Maybe you could even circumvent the problem by letting apache (or your
webserver) do the conversion for you, your application would only serve
the xml files.

Sébastien