[Catalyst] serving static files

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Thu Jan 11 16:38:44 GMT 2007

Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> I have read about an example of setting a proxy/reverse proxy server for
> a Java application at the following link:
>
> http://www.daveyp.com/blog/index.php/archives/76/
>
> But the article says that the Apache server that is the proxy is also
> using mod_perl (for applying some filters), and also says that it can
> "serve static files directly"
> Is the article bad, or how can a mod_perl enabled Apache2 server can
> serve static files directly?

There are many possibilities here.  The hit isn't as big if you use
mpm_worker or mpm_event (instead of mpm_prefork).  The hit isn't as big
if you're only using mod_perl for (say) authentication or URL mapping.
The best thing you can do is understand WHY people are saying what they
are, so you can make your own decisions.

Catalyst apps tend to contain a lot of code; and that's why we recommend
a two-tiered setup.  If your application is an internal app with 10 hits
a day, don't waste your time tweaking Apache -- it doesn't matter.  If
your app is Vox, though, it's worth your time to set things up right.
In that case, a well-tuned server can save you thousands of dollars.

Finally, if you want general mod_perl advice, check the mod_perl list
archives:

http://perl.apache.org/maillist/index.html

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,