[Catalyst] Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 12:51:37 GMT 2007

From: "Carl Johnstone" <catalyst at fadetoblack.me.uk>

>> Now to say the truth, I won't use RoR because I don't know Ruby, but I
>> want to know which are the advantages and disadvantages of Catalyst
>> comparing with other frameworks.
>
> The most important advantage/disadvantage *to you* must be that Catalyst
> is Perl and you know that, and RoR is Ruby and you don't know that. So it
> becomes more about Ruby vs Perl than Catalyst vs Rails.
>
> It's also entirely personal to you, as you've got to factor in your desire
> to learn Ruby.
>
> Carl

I have seen fewer and fewer people start learning perl, and more become
interested about Python and Ruby (not mentioning those that like C#, Java,
C...).
They can say that their preferate language is better, that it is newer and
that it took what's the best from perl and from other languages, that its
object orientation is better, that even though it doesn't have so many
libraries as perl does, they are better than those from perl, that the few
frameworks available for their language are faster than the frameworks that
work under perl, and so on.

I would like to say that it is not true, but I cannot see any benchmarks,
and I don't know those languages for beeing able to create them, and that's
why I would like to know.

Octavian