[Catalyst] Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek rs at 474.at
Mon Jan 15 13:18:30 GMT 2007

Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> I have seen fewer and fewer people start learning perl, and more become
> interested about Python and Ruby (not mentioning those that like C#,
> Java, C...).
> They can say that their preferate language is better, that it is newer
> and that it took what's the best from perl and from other languages,
> that its object orientation is better, that even though it doesn't have
> so many libraries as perl does, they are better than those from perl,
> that the few frameworks available for their language are faster than the
> frameworks that work under perl, and so on.
>
> I would like to say that it is not true, but I cannot see any
> benchmarks, and I don't know those languages for beeing able to create
> them, and that's why I would like to know.

In my experience, you can't prove anything to people who argue like "my
language is better." The real reason for them to say that Perl stinks
is, that most people say that Perl stinks.

I have given up on it. Tell it to the people who are able to listen and
don't waste your energy on the rest.

--
# Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek
# Perl 5/Catalyst Developer in Hamburg, Germany