[Catalyst] [OT] what would constitute a sensible set of benchmarks?

Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek rs at 474.at
Tue Jan 16 10:22:53 GMT 2007

Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 13:24 +0100, Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek wrote:
>
>> Well, templating benchmarks maybe, but for an ORM I just have the
>> feeling the larger factor is how you use it, not which.
>
> This is true, but the SQL generated by an ORM can have a big effect on
> performance.  I usually hand-code the parts where I need the most
> performance, but many people will just rely on their ORM and hope for
> the best, and that can vary quite a bit between implementations (e.g.
> deleting multiple rows in one statement vs. thousands).

And you can do both in DBIC. That's why benchmarking is so hard,
TIMTOWTDI, which one will you benchmark? Same with Catalyst. For my
apps, I use uri_for massively, some people don't, which way are we going
to benchmark? Same with controller base classes vs action classes vs
external modules.

IMHO you can only really benchmark developers together with their
framework of choice.

--
# Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek
# Perl 5/Catalyst Developer in Hamburg, Germany