[Catalyst] [OT] what would constitute a sensible set of benchmarks?

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Mon Jan 15 16:20:13 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 13:24 +0100, Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek wrote:
> Daniel McBrearty wrote:
>
> >> Personally, I don't care about templating and ORM benchmarks,
> >
> > why not?
>
> Well, templating benchmarks maybe, but for an ORM I just have the
> feeling the larger factor is how you use it, not which.

This is true, but the SQL generated by an ORM can have a big effect on
performance.  I usually hand-code the parts where I need the most
performance, but many people will just rely on their ORM and hope for
the best, and that can vary quite a bit between implementations (e.g.
deleting multiple rows in one statement vs. thousands).

- Perrin