[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

Daniel McBrearty danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 10:27:38 GMT 2007

> Like what? And what about those other design options is
> benchmarkable?

1. the language. For instance, a key factor against RoR for me was the
fact that Ruby doesn't know where its going w.r.t. unicode. Perl has
mature support for that. There are multiple other reasons why people
like/dislike various langauges, and a lot of it, if we are honest, is
taste, or factors specific to that project.

2. the library support in the language. Ditto.

3. as a subset of 2, templating systems, ORM's ...

It may be that the differences between these things, platform to
platform, are insignificant compared to other factors. OK. But if I
was setting out to do this exercise (which I'm not, right now ...) I
would make some basic measurements anyhow, at least as a start point.

<snip>
Because as long as the framework is not improbably slow,
its contribution to an app's performance characteristics
will just be noise in any realworld scenario.
</snip>

So what are the key factors that influence performance? Why not design
a benchmark such that it can show up those differences?

I'm not pretending to know in advance what makes the difference. I
don't. I just don't think that saying "there's no point measuring it
... " and expecting the world to just believe is a very realistic
combination. Hence the question I was trying to ask in the other
thread - what DOES make a realistic benchmark?

<snip>
Does that include dynamic content caching wizardry ? It is
meaningless if you don't take into account real-life scenarios like
reverse proxy cache invalidation policies (and tricks). This is just
to say that all this perf talk is meaningless : sometimes the power
you get from a well thought out framework allows you to do things
that are close to magick, speed-wise among others. Comparing simple
setups is ridiculous IMHO.
</snip>

Fair enough. So why not try to design a benchmark in such a way that
those techniques can be exploited? What is the simplest set of tests
that has some meaning for you?

--
Daniel McBrearty
email : danielmcbrearty at gmail.com