[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

David Morel david.morel at amakuru.net
Tue Jan 16 10:54:13 GMT 2007

Le 16 janv. 07 à 11:27, Daniel McBrearty a écrit :
> Fair enough. So why not try to design a benchmark in such a way that
> those techniques can be exploited? What is the simplest set of tests
> that has some meaning for you?

I don't know :) I'm thinking benchmarking simple things don't work.
Pushing this a bit further, I realized I didn't really care about
speed as long as the apps are resonably fast. I don't really care if
a framework gives me 150 hits/s and another one 130. Maybe what
matters in the end is the resources you have to allocate (financially
speaking, which implies how many servers, elcetricity, developer
time, etc) to a given project. This implies observing the projects on
the long term, and encompasses such concerns as application
lifecycle, security (how much did the downtime to plug that hole cost
us ?), extensibility, developer turnover ("Bye boss, had enough of
your php toys"), etc. Don't you think ?

I don't know of anyone wishing to write the same app twice, or a
client willing to pay two teams of developers to produce the same app
in two different languages, so I guess the comparison cannot be done :)

Am I a would-be suit -or moron, pick one ? Of course it would be nice
to say : Catalyst is the best AND fastest framework there is. But
IMHO it's not that important (considering establishing such a fact is
nearly impossible). I'm pretty satisfied with the fact that I can use
the whole of CPAN at great speed, and I think that matters more.

David Morel <david.morel at amakuru.net>