[Catalyst] creating binaries

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 11:17:18 GMT 2007

From: "Matt S Trout" <dbix-class at trout.me.uk>

> I suspect it's more complaints about people expecting things for free
> from somebody who's got a hell of a lot of free advice on here  without as
> yet contributing anything useful back are ... ironic at best.

I haven't asked anything for free. I've just asked if Catalyst can do some
things, and nobody showed that can do it.
They try to convince me that what I want is not good.
If it cannot do, then it is ok, they could at least tell me that, so I could
use my time better and go and use another program for what I want.
They would not lose their time either.
I have asked that because I consider Catalyst the most complete framework,
and I found it much easier to use than something else, but if it is not
possible, then... that's it.

> Actually, it happily can and I know of people who have done so;
> unfortunately your entitlement attitude and repeated failure to read
> documentation or to listen when people point you at it has probably
> resulted in those who're knowledgeable about this not being willing  to
> further help you for free - especially given any time you fail to
> understand something you accuse the tools of being incapable and  broken,
> often when the authors of those tools are trying to help you  learn.

I haven't seen any recommendation about hiding the Catalyst source code in
case the internet access is not available and web services cannot be used.
If there was such a message, I might have missed it.

> So, Octavian, please moderate your attitude and try and stick to  being
> on-topic and constructive in your comments in future.

If I have asked something and that thing could be done, the list members
helped very much with their answers.
But, if I have asked something that cannot be done, the other tries to
convince me that that way is not good, suggest me to use a better licence,
and so on, even though sometimes I am asked to do a program in a certain
way, and I cannot tell that that way is not good.
And I have just explained them why in my case their way is not good. That's
why this discussion appeared.

And one more thing, if I don't like something, I use to tell it. I don't
know why the others don't like this. Why should I like the same thing the
others like?
Why should we have the same needs or preferences?
But this discussion wasn't about this, because I like Catalyst, and that's
why I would like to use it in that project I've told you about.

Or it is not ok to say that Catalyst cannot do some things? Can Catalyst do
everything? I guess not, and I don't think that someone wants it to be able
to do everything.
So what's the big deal if it cannot be used for some things? Or maybe it
can, but just like me, the other users don't know how to use it with perlapp
for hiding its source completely. They could just tell me that they don't
know, or not reply, because I have explained that I don't want an extremely
good protection, and that the program might not have internet access, and
that the licence is useless for me.

But anyway, it doesn't matter.

Octavian