[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

Jay K jayk at ion0.com
Thu Jan 18 19:04:20 GMT 2007

I find it interesting how people will grab one particular part of a
post and completely disregard the rest.  I don't really care too much
about this rather silly discussion, but ability to bludgeon doesn't
make you correct and I feel the need to point that out.

Apache takes a request (string + other request information) and
translates it to a specific action.  That may be showing an directory
index,  serving up the contents of a file, or executing a particular
bundle of code (via CGI or any number of other methods).  Depending
on how it is configured, it can perform access control /
authorization and numerous other bits of functionality.

That is what a dispatcher does.  There is no requirement that the
thing a dispatcher decides to do is in one particular arbitrarily
defined bundle of code.

Using apache as your only dispatcher may be out of fashion, or
outmoded, or whatever you choose to call it, but that doesn't mean it
isn't a dispatcher.

Point being that frameworks provide more than choosing what to do,
and if you stop the comparison at that point, then you might as well
include every web server in your comparison.

It was intended to point out one of the problems with the benchmark,
using an extreme example.

I need to remember that subtlety has no place on mailing lists.

Jay