[Catalyst] deploying a Catalyst app

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 21:23:11 GMT 2007

--- mla <maurice.aubrey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Please tell me where can I find more information
> about deploying a Catalyst
> > app.
> > I think there should be a way of creating a
> tarball with the whole app,
> > including the entire application.
> >
> > When installing it on the target machine (with
> make, make install) it
> > should
> > require all the necessary Catalyst and
> non-Catalyst modules.
> >
> > It should be also nice if it would be a way of
> creating automaticly a
> > tarball that contains all the necessary modules,
> and install them no
> > matter if some of them are already installed on
> the target machine or
> > not (including the entire Catalyst framework).
>
> How do most of you deploy applications? I've seen
> several references
> to tarballs now. Do you do that even for very large
> sites?
>
> I've always used cvs/svn for the app. Tagged it for
> staging/prod and
> pulled the changes to the appropriate servers.
>
> Maurice

I do my best to have the application install as a
standard perl module, that way my admin can install it
with a well known procedure and I can have the
application prompt to download required modules, etc.

Right now there is still a bit of tweaking of env vars
to find the correct configuration files and so forth,
but I'm trying to learn how to prompt for that during
installation.

Ideally I'd like to use PAR and the PAR module for
apache.  That way I can just hand off a single file to
my admins.  But until I can learn to make that work
properly I think setting up to install like a regular
perl module is a good way to do it.  It also tends to
push me to make sure I wrote good tests and all that
as well :)

For an example of a catalyst application designed like
to install with CPAN you can check out Angerwhale at:

http://search.cpan.org/~jrockway/Angerwhale-0.05/lib/Angerwhale.pm

--john
--john