[Catalyst] plat_forms report published on June 20th. 2007. Geneva team on Catalyst wins the Perl track.

Cédric Bouvier cbouvi at free.fr
Wed Jun 20 20:39:47 GMT 2007

Le mercredi 20 juin 2007, =E0 18 heures 28, Matt S Trout =E9crivait :
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 06:35:31PM +0200, Daniel McBrearty wrote:
> > hate to admit it, but perl took a hammering in terms of the
> > completeness of solutions thing, maybe the most important metric.
> > see the charts on page 13.
> =

> Perl WSDL/SOAP tooling is pants. Film at 11.
> =

> I do know of a large suite of Cat apps whose primary purpose is to
> handle such, but I believe the company in question largely built the
> functionality up from scratch.
> =

> Volunteers to put together a Catalyst::Plugin::Server::SOAP would be
> welcome and I believe the ::Server authors would be willing to advise
> (as would I, I had a little bit of involvement in the design process
> as well).

Before we went to battle, we tried to learn as much as we could about
SOAP and how to handle it. And we felt the lack of appropriate modules,
but finally said, "well, that will have to do", and hoped that the
requirement would only be to implement some sort of web service.

Unfortunately, the requirements just included a WSDL file, and the words
"implement that!". So we were doomed. The pressure and lack of sleep
must have blinded me, for I didn't give up at once, and wasted valuable
time trying to get something working.

To me, it seems that the "enterprise" world take it for granted that
SOAP is a synonym for web services, the only way to go, whereas the
Perl community generaly considers it as useless and as heavy as a dead
donkey. Still, we would definitely benefit from having a decent
Catalyst::Plugin to handle that.

-- =

C =E9 d r i c   B o u v i e r
team1 member