[Catalyst] plat_forms report published on June 20th. 2007. Genevateam on Catalyst wins the Perl track.

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 20:28:09 GMT 2007

From: "Matt S Trout" <dbix-class at trout.me.uk>

> Perl WSDL/SOAP tooling is pants. Film at 11.
>
> I do know of a large suite of Cat apps whose primary purpose is to handle
> such, but I believe the company in question largely built the
> functionality
> up from scratch.

Perl supports SOAP and even WSDL, but the XML format of requests and
especially responses are different in the CPAN perl modules than in Java and
.net solutions.
And Java and .net is considered a "standard way" even if we don't like or
say that we don't care.

I also found a module that pretended to create SOAP and WSDL .net compatible
requests, but it didn't work out of the box, so I prefered to create the
program manually.

Unfortunately there are very many things in perl that don't follow the
standards established by programmers in other more popular languages...

Anyway, I don't think in this contest the biggest problem of perl teams was
the lack of WSDL support in perl.
The biggest problem I think it was the security and the small number of
features that were completed.
The biggest plus I think it was the easiness of maintnance (which is
considered the biggest minus of perl).

Octavian