[Catalyst] Template rendering error under mod_perl

Richard Jones ra.jones at dpw.clara.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 17:27:43 GMT 2007

Richard Jones wrote:
> Kiki wrote:
>> Richard Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Having developed my application sufficiently to see it working well so
>>> far, I though I should configure it to run under mod_perl. I have used
>>> the TTSite helper to generate the templates. The app runs fine using
>>> myapp_server.pl, but under mod_perl I get the following:
>>>
>>> Couldn't render template "file error - login.tt2: not found"
>>>

>> Could be a permission issue, has the user the webserver runs under
>> access to that path / those files?

> The user/group permissions on root/src and root/lib and the files
> therein are the same as for lib/MyApp.pm, so presumably that isn't the
> issue? There is nothing obvious in the error_log, though Apache
> doesn't seem to log file permission errors even under debug mode.
OK, contrary to my previous post, it clearly is a file permissions issue
(thanks KiKi), as chmod 777 * -R in MyApp fixed the problem at a stroke
(it's not on a public server!).  Changing all directories to 755 and
files to 644 (or 666 if need to be writable) seems to retain functionality.

Could I have avoided this embarrassment by using Makefile.PL in the app
directory? OT I know, but what is the recommended permissions for files
and directories for web-apps run under Catalyst/mod_perl?

--
Richard Jones