[Catalyst] html mail (was: reserved words)

Thomas L. Shinnick tshinnic at io.com
Thu Mar 8 19:46:16 GMT 2007

At 12:53 PM 3/8/2007, Jason Kohles wrote:
>On Mar 8, 2007, at 5:09 AM, Goetz Bock wrote:
>>Dear subscribers,
>>
>>while totally of topic, could you please _try_ to write mails that can
>>be read with a good old text (as in text/plain) only mail reader?
>[snip]
>>I've intentionally placed my part on top, as it's unrelated to the thread.
>>And I've kept an edited and annotated version of the mail I replied to
>>underneath to illustrate how it looks in my MUA (mutt).
>Ok, so you don't like the way this mail is displayed by your mail
>reader, and therefore in order to get mail displayed in your mail
>reader the way you want it, the rest of the world must change?

Surprised at this or no, this is a very long-standing issue, from
BBSes to usenet to maillists and on to today.

Two main issues:

Top-posting distorts the stream of conversation.  Double conventions
_really_ distorts the stream of conversations.  The
"industry-standard" (with all the drawbacks of that term intact here)
way of replying to posts is to use bottom-posting, so that replies
are time-ordered, or using interspersed replies to lengthy sets of questions.

Not every mail reader can handle every text/non-text formatting
option.  Thus it borders on 'rude' to force acceptance of your
favorite elaboration of modes of expression.  At the very least have
your email program sent mixed "plain text" plus "gussied-up goo".

The key is "what guarantees that the conversation can continue in a
recognizable and useful way?"