[Catalyst] Detecting if a user aborted a (long) download

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Mon Mar 12 04:48:25 GMT 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 21:18, Jeff Chimene wrote:
> Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> > On Sunday 11 March 2007 20:59, Jeff Chimene wrote:
> >> How does that differ from something that compares bytes sent to bytes
> >> received? Assuming that the OP defines success when "bytes received =
> >> bytes sent"
> >
> > How do you determine how many bytes were received and successfully
> > written to disk?
>
> There's also this:
> > http://ajaxpatterns.org/Progress_Indicator#What_sort_of_progress_indicato
> >r_will_you_use.3F

I think this thread has wandered a bit off topic.  We are talking about how to
ensure that a user has reliably downloaded and is able to access (from his
own machine) an mp3 file.  The answer is that you can't do that without
asking the user :)

There are various compromises that you can make instead, including checking to
see if the whole file at least made it out of your catalyst app (by having
your filehandle monitor that for you).  You can also give the user a good
amount of time to download the file as many times as he likes (bandwidth is
cheap), or you can have customer support allow the user to re-download if he
complains (Apple does this).

You are free to ignore all of the above advice.  It isn't my problem.

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,