[Catalyst] Detecting if a user aborted a (long) download

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Mon Mar 12 15:11:18 GMT 2007

> There are various compromises that you can make instead, including
> checking to
> see if the whole file at least made it out of your catalyst app (by
having
> your filehandle monitor that for you).  You can also give the user a good

> amount of time to download the file as many times as he likes (bandwidth
is
> cheap), or you can have customer support allow the user to re-download if
he
> complains (Apple does this).
>
> You are free to ignore all of the above advice.  It isn't my problem.

I agree with the above advice,  you may also note that if you are charging
for the downloads there may be legal/accounting reasons for this method
(that almost all electronic delivery systems use).  Technically, if you
deliver only over the internet you need to have a certain level of backup
to prove that the product was delivered or that the client had the ability
to receive the product (and request it again if she states that she was
unable to receive it) in many countries to be able to show revenue on your
books.  It may be worth your while to have both an accountant that
specializes in Internet delivery/booking and a lawyer give you some
guidance about what is required in your area to cover your bases.

-Wade