[Catalyst] C::C::FB and captchas or similar

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 19:31:01 GMT 2007

From: "Brian Cassidy" <brian.cassidy at nald.ca>

> A technique i recently saw was to add an input to your form with a usual
> sounding name (like "subject") but style is as "display:none". The primary
> concept is that users manually filling out the form will not see that
> field and therefore it will be blank on submission. Automated processes
> will likely see the "subject" field and stuff it with data.

Most of those who are using Captcha are using it for not allowing automatic
account creation, and in those cases, this technique is not helpful, because
the program that creates the accounts is specially made for a certain site,
and the program creator knows that a certain field should not be included.

I have also seen that some sites use captcha even though they just need to
avoid automatic spamming sent by spiders.
In that case, captcha is not needed at all. For example, for avoiding a
spider submitting a form on a forum or blog, The page could simply say
"Please type the word 'blabla' in the field below", and the automatic spider
won't know that it needs to type a certain word, and it will fail submitting
the form.

Octavian