[Catalyst] creating action classes for chained actions, trouble with overriding ->match

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 20:15:48 GMT 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com>
To: catalyst at lists.rawmode.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 4:07:29 PM
Subject: [Catalyst] creating action classes for chained actions, trouble with overriding ->match

Hi,

I've been working on some action classes that are primarily used by chained actions (although they could be used otherwise) and running into some confusion about overriding the ->match method.

It seems like if you have an action chain with several actions that have action classes, the ->match method of the terminal action is the only one that gets run.  For example:

Does anyone know if this is correct?  Or am I just doing something wrong?  Seems strange that I can hook into execute but not match but that just might be me.

Thanks!
--John

I may have answered my own question.  A peer pointed me to:

http://search.cpan.org/src/MRAMBERG/Catalyst-Runtime-5.7007/lib/Catalyst/DispatchType/Chained.pm

and down in a method called 'recurse_match' it does indeed seem like match is only called against the endpoint in a chain.  So I guess I'd like to find out if anyone knows the reasoning behind this.  I think ideally if an action class can over ride match, this should be allowed for all types of actions.  Or I am just not smart enough to know why not :)

Thanks!
John

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265