[Catalyst] Problem with RenderView

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Fri May 4 16:05:07 GMT 2007

Jay K wrote:
> Bernhard,
> =

> There is no way that I'm aware of to accomplish what you are trying
> to do in the manner you are trying to do it.
> =

> RenderView basically forwards processing to your view object.   It
> has some 'outs' to avoid doing that when it is inappropriate,
> as in when body is filled out or you are redirecting, etc.  But there
> is no 'just don't do it' flag.
> =

> What Bogdan was trying to tell you is that while, yes, your code does
> do the write, doing it inside your controller is somewhat against the
> MVC method generally used in Catalyst.   Which means, essentially,
> that you are going to run into problems with the modules because they
> all expect MVC behavior.

Well, mostly. The REST Action stuff doesn't use views at all by default.
So, it's happy writing output and not going to a view at all (unless you
map a content-type to a View manually)....

As such, what is the REST stuff doing, or how is it avoiding using views
for most of it's output? Therein probably lays the answer the this
particular problem.

-=3DChris