[Catalyst] Shoot out -- Catalyst / RoR / Other MVC apps --

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Wed May 9 14:15:59 GMT 2007

Christopher H. Laco scribbled on 5/9/07 7:56 AM:

> The best approach for me has been what mst has said before. Make your
> core stuff usable outside of the work of Catalyst. Seems like a no
> brainer, but when you're just learning Cat and following examples, it's
> easy to forget.

yes, it took me a year of fulltime Catalyst to arrive at this same place. I
there was probably decent documentation and mailing list advice out there that
could have pointed me in that direction from the start, although my experience
with Perl in general is that I (can) do things my own way for awhile until I
figure out on my own what more experienced folks already know:

  * search CPAN thoroughly before rolling your own
  * subclass subclass subclass
  * a couple levels of indirection can increase re-usability immensely
  * etc.

[snip]

> The main theme being...the models are just DB thingies...they're
> completely usable outside core classes (domains/business logic, etc)...

The Catalyst::Model:RDBO model uses this approach. It's just a thin layer around
a single RDBO class (which represents one table). Just a shim to get your
extra-Catalyst classes available within the Catalyst Model feature.

Peter Karman  .  http://peknet.com/  .  peter at peknet.com