[Catalyst] Shoot out -- Catalyst / RoR / Other MVC apps --

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Wed May 9 14:57:32 GMT 2007

On Wed, 9 May 2007, Peter Karman wrote:

> * subclass subclass subclass

My experience tells me that lots of subclassing is a bad smell. Delegation
is often simpler and less fraught with possibility for name conflicts.

Perl's inheritance mechanism is particularly egregious, of course. SUPER
is broken, and without private methods or attributes of any sort, it's
really easy to step on your parent's internals and break things.

> * a couple levels of indirection can increase re-usability immensely

indirection" (Butler Lampson)

... except the problem of having too many levels of indirection.

Which no doubt you've all heard before, but it's worth remembering.

-dave