[Catalyst] Shoot out -- Catalyst / RoR / Other MVC apps --

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed May 9 17:25:55 GMT 2007

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 04:21:19PM +0100, Matt S Trout wrote:
> Most things that are currently plugins should, really, be either Controller
> base classes, models or helper objects that are handed to the template.

I guilty of this.  Plugins have been an emphasized part of Catalyst
and, well, Cat makes them really easy to use.

I had some auth code I setup as a Controller base class and had my
Login controller inherit from it -- then it wasn't log before I wanted to
use that elsewhere.  Stuffing common code in plugins sure makes it handy.
Often it's hard to figure out what's best until it's all built.

Speaking of plugins, I tend to use the common leading underscore for
"private" methods in plugins.  Not very private.  Not really a Cat
question, but do many people use lexical vars to store their private
methods in plugins?

    my $private_method = sub { ... }

later:

    $self->$private_method( $foo );