[Catalyst] Shoot out -- Catalyst / RoR / Other MVC apps --

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Wed May 9 16:26:50 GMT 2007

Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:02:19AM -0500, Dave Rolsky wrote:
>> On a side note, Catalyst plugins as a rule seem to jam _way_ too many =

>> methods into the things they extend (the session plugin is truly =

>> egregious). Some day I'd like to write a version of the session plugin =

>> that adds one method to the core Catalyst object, session(), and all the =

>> rest of the methods would be available via the object returned from =

>> session().
> =

> What I'd really like to try sometime is having
> =

> sub session { shift->model('CurrentSession'); }
> =

> and then make the Model::CurrentSession class with a bit of ACCEPT_CONTEXT
> magic handle it all itself.
> =

> Most things that are currently plugins should, really, be either Controll=
er
> base classes, models or helper objects that are handed to the template.
> =

> We'll get there eventually, I hope.
> =

Moose Roles! :-)
I would love to see the Auth stuff become role based...or pluggable in
it's own respect...

After doing the Mango magic for  $c->user->cart, $c->user->profile for
anonymous vs. authed users, etc...it's clear that being able to attach
functionality to existing plugins is better than rewriting plugins to do
your own bidding every time...

Of course, I could be off my rocker...

-=3DChris