[Catalyst] Re: Shoot out -- Catalyst / RoR / Other MVC apps --

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu May 10 16:59:23 GMT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 05:23:41PM +0200, Tobias Kremer wrote:
> > But, this does raise another question I have. There is plethora of modules
> > that are to help Perl be more OO like and stricter .... which is cool, but
> > are there any good de-facto standard modules that are used by the majority of
> > people wishing to be more OO compliant.
>
> That'd be Moose, I suppose - A complete modern object system for Perl 5:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Moose/
>
> Haven't really looked into it yet but I always wanted to know if there
> are any plans on incorporating this into the Perl 5 core and/or any
> patches in bleadperl that boost Moose's performance (which, I suppose,
> is not up to par with plain Perl objects) like the Class::C3::XS patches
> we saw recently?

Actually, Moose performance is very close - the accessor generated by

has 'foo' => (is => 'rw');

is on a par with Class::Accessor::Fast, and the new immutable stuff massively
improves the speed of constructors. Things like around modifiers are about the
same runtime cost as next::method is (i.e. 2*sub calls) which isn't too bad
at all.

There -is- still a hit for startup time, but that and even more run-time
efficiency is in the pipeline with a little help from Module::Compile (and
possibly some really insane stuff that I have in mind :).