[Catalyst] AJAX with catalyst

Jeff Chimene jchimene at gmail.com
Sat May 12 15:42:44 GMT 2007

Dmitri Pissarenko wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm learning catalyst and have written a simple application, which
> lets user display, edit, add data to/from database.
>
> Now I want to make it more user-friendly by using some elements known
> from desktop apps:
>
> 1) Popup windows
> 2) Context menus
> 3) Panels, which I can drag from one place to another. That is, I have
> four panels (with different content) on a page, and I can change their
> places by dragging one panel to another place.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) Where can I find materials about how to do it with Perl catalyst?
Have you tried a Google search?

The nice thing about Catalyst is that it doesn't care about AJAX in
particular. Your task is simply to learn how to use Catalyst. AJAX will
be "free for the ride" You will find that returning data to the client
may require some toolkit-specific syntax: JSON, specially formatted
HTML, Javascript. You'll want to be familiar with Catalyst Response
concept to address this issue.
> 2) Where can I find material about Perl Catalyst with AJAX in general?
Ibid. Pick an AJAX toolkit. I use Dojo, but there are others here using
Prototype, MochiKit, &c. Peter Karman an example available in
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Controller-Rose/ See the t/examples
directory