[Catalyst] OT: security through obscurity (was: Encrypt/Decrypt URI)

Christian Storm storm at iparadigms.com
Fri May 18 18:13:18 GMT 2007

On May 18, 2007, at 9:46 AM, Jonathan T. Rockway wrote:

> Obscurity is a "constant factor".  As soon as one person figures out
> your obfuscation, it's useless.  When someone figures our your real
> security, it does them no good at all.  Since there are 6_000_000_000
> people in the world, it's likely that someone has already figured our
> your obscurity, so only real security matters.

Steganography is good for 'flying below the radar' but a web app
isn't about that.

> Finally, the hmac+md5 urls sounds sound from a security standpoint,
> but it's a really dumb way to write a web app.

I would have to disagree.  I think it is all about layers of
defense.  Relying on
this alone is 'a dumb way to write a web app'.  Having this at the top
of your security stack in the request verification phase is smart.
I'll do anything
to prevent unauthorized access to sensitive information.