[Catalyst] Re: Encrypt /Decrypt URI

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Sat May 19 11:24:07 GMT 2007

* Peter Edwards <peter at dragonstaff.com> [2007-05-19 10:05]:
> The biggest security threat is actually insider fraud, so try
> and design a system that you would struggle to break yourself,
> with checks and balances including a write-only audit trail.

Finally, a statement in this thread that I can back up 100%. :-)

> Hashing the URL will make life hard for you as a developer and
> won't necessarily stop black hats.

No, but it will certainly slow them down at first and it possibly
keep slowing them down later. Sometimes, slowing someone down is
all you need. F.ex., it would be dumb to run sshd on a port other
than 22, hoping that no one finds it. But if you keep track of
security advisories, then running sshd on an unusual port may
make the difference between someone finding your sshd before or
after you had a chance to install the latest patch, thus making
the difference between your getting cracked or not.

Regards,