[Catalyst] using REST within the app

John Goulah jgoulah at gmail.com
Thu May 24 17:12:27 GMT 2007

On 5/24/07, Dave Rolsky <autarch at urth.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2007, John Goulah wrote:
>
> > What are peoples thoughts on using REST not only as a web service, but
> also
> > within the application itself as another layer of abstraction?  I would
> > assume in this way all the DB related calls would go through the REST
> layer,
> > and this way they can be invoked as services or locally through the
> app.  Is
> > this too much overhead since the model itself is a layer?
>
> There is definitely an overhead issue, but the bigger question is why you
> think this would be a good idea.
>
> The big advantage of using a Perl API is its expressiveness and
> flexibility. Perl is a programming language. HTTP + JSON|XML|YAML is not a
> programming language, and as such is much less flexible.
>
> What possible benefit could you get from using REST the way you propose,
> that's not outweighed by the massive downsides?

Thats basically why I'm asking if it is (or isn't) a good idea to implement
things that way.  We already have the model layer, so perhaps putting
something else (REST) between the two is a bad idea and too much overhead.
BUT, I figured if you want to use these methods within the app AND expose
them as a web service maybe it'd make sense.  And maybe not :)

Thanks,
John