[Catalyst] using REST within the app

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Thu May 24 16:45:13 GMT 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007, John Goulah wrote:

> What are peoples thoughts on using REST not only as a web service, but also
> within the application itself as another layer of abstraction?  I would
> assume in this way all the DB related calls would go through the REST layer,
> and this way they can be invoked as services or locally through the app.  Is
> this too much overhead since the model itself is a layer?

There is definitely an overhead issue, but the bigger question is why you
think this would be a good idea.

The big advantage of using a Perl API is its expressiveness and
flexibility. Perl is a programming language. HTTP + JSON|XML|YAML is not a
programming language, and as such is much less flexible.

What possible benefit could you get from using REST the way you propose,
that's not outweighed by the massive downsides?

-dave