[Catalyst] Ubuntu / Catalyst

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Fri Nov 9 15:01:52 GMT 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 12:45:43PM +0000, Jason Tang wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm just about to embark on reviewing Catalyst as a framework for our
> web developments. I've done small amounts of Catalyst playing around in
> my spare time but not a massive amount.
>
> I'm probably going through the same hoops other people are going through
> with regards of its production suitability. The first question I've come
> across is about being able to package Catalyst with its multitude of
> dependancies for a production environment. I'm not convinced installing
> direct from CPAN is the solution.

Depends. I prefer having an application perl and each deployment having
its own self-contained lib tree, makes upgrades etc. much less risky.

If you're wanting to go the apt route then the ubuntu repos already have
quite a bit, then add http://debian.pkgs.cpan.org/, then add
dh-make-perl and/or CPANPLUS::Dist::Deb for any stragglers (and your
application itself).

As for 'production suitability', I'd point at -

http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/wiki/LiveApplications

which is just the people who've made a point of adding themselves (and I
know of plenty that haven't, some of which I can't talk about, many more of
which I don't remember the URLs to :)