[Catalyst] Re: Ubuntu / Catalyst

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Nov 14 00:36:53 GMT 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 11:16:54AM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> Peter Edwards wrote:
> >Centos 5 == Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
> >For production quality, you can expect it to be pretty stable and I have
> >corporate customers running it successfully. It's one of our development
> >platforms.
> >However, note mst's comments about the broken Perl on it. I found that
> >quite
> >shocking considering it's supposed to be a premier Linux hosting platform.
> >As usual, compiling your own perl and Apache and providing your own
> >PERL5LIB
> >dir per live application area is a sane way of going about delivering
> >standardised live applications you can roll out and support.
> >

> Possibly a bit OT now, but as I'm about to set up another production
> server and was going to use CentOS 5, I'm a bit concerned. Matt
> mentioned fstab and init, but not as far as I can see Perl - in what way
> is Perl broken on CentOS 5?

That's because I was bitching about later Ubuntus, not Dead Rat.

I simply don't consider RH distros a deployment platform you'd choose unless
mandated to use them, and prefer to build my own perl if I have to.

CentOS 5's vendor perl will show a 2* performance hit due to their inability
to maintain a perl package.

Just Don't.