[Catalyst] Session/Authentication/Authorization for legacy + Cat

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Nov 20 22:29:41 GMT 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 08:41:02PM -0000, Peter Edwards wrote:
> >On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 11:03:24PM -0800, Ashley Pond V wrote:
> >> I'm working on some session code which I'd like to be able to use
> >> with legacy code (non-Cat) and Cat...
> >> For authentication/authorization though I can't find a(n obvious)
> >> path for both legacy and Cat.
> >>
> >> Any tales from the punchbowl on the topic?
> >
> >"Let Catalyst handle /login. Make legacy code get user out of session.
>
> That's a really good way so long as you can make the old app use a Catalyst
> session handler.

Which in his case is true since he's sharing the sessions via CGI::Session.

> We had to incorporate around an old perl app that used a user table with
> Unix passwd style passwords and its own cookies and custom session handling.
> We set up a DBIx::Class view to the SQL user table in the Catalyst
> authentication configuration and took a hit on using different session
> stores between old and new apps, which wasn't really a problem in this case.
> The old app works the same and the new Catalyst parts are self-contained but
> share the user login/password.

I'm not sure whether that's horrible or beautiful.

I think the best solution may simply be to drink enough beer to forget it
was ever done :)

--
      Matt S Trout       Catalyst and DBIx::Class consulting and support -
   Technical Director      http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/