[Catalyst] Re: Re: CMS Revisited

Dennis Daupert ddaupert at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 29 14:22:03 GMT 2007

Re: Re: CMS Revisited

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:51:21 +0000 Matt S Trout said:
> Did you have a look at the shadowcat site codebase I posted
> in the last thread about CMSes as open code for people to
> make a start from?

Hi Matt,

Yes, I did so. By that time, I had spent months writing code which, in my estimation, is pretty close to the spirit of the Catalyst tutorial. I had in fact begun learning Cat from that source. I have written my code with an eye towards those who may be trudging up that steep hill. For example, I've liberally sprinkled log statements throughout the code, to make it easy to follow the program flow (for those who are not debugger enabled.)

Also, I am not well-schooled in Reaction at the moment, on which the Shadowcat code depends. I have wanted to delve into Reaction; from what I've read about Reaction it sounds quite promising. But certainly a different architecture and mindset, and I need to find the time to go back to school.

Having said all that, I want to see the CMS project move. A number of people out there are working on various bits on their own, but I think it would be useful to get a project out in the open to get the benefit of many hands and eyeballs. I am not so wedded to my own code that I'd be unwilling to shift to some better idea.

I'll go ahead and plan to post my code this weekend (fingers crossed) and give folks some time to comment.

/dennis