[Catalyst] email confirmation widget?

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Thu Oct 11 04:30:41 GMT 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Dustin Suchter wrote:

> Has anyone put together a nice email-validation-link-generator
> widget for Catalyst (or Perl, for that matter)? All I can find on
> CPAN is something that is part of Jifty (whatever that is).
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~jesse/Jifty-0.70824/plugins/Login/lib/Jifty/Plugin/Login/Action/ConfirmEmail.pm
>
> In a perfect world this widget would be really simple:
>
> -generates long random codes for use in confirm links
> -stores those links server-side in temp files instead of a DB to
> prevent DDoS on a db

Huh? You can't prevent a DDoS by storing stuff on the filesystem and not
in a DBMS. And the distributed part isn't the issue, it's just the DoS
part one would worry about. Presumably filling up the file system will
also cause a DoS, but so would signing up for an account in the app of
choice and submitting too much content.

More importantly, some people will _need_ to store it in the DBMS because
they have multiple web servers and don't want to enable NFS just to store
it in the file system ;)

If this sort of plugin were useful, the storage should probably be
pluggable, just like with Sessions. I'm not convinced that this sort of
thing can be made generic enough to be a useful plugin, but that's a
different issue.

-dave