[Catalyst] extending apps to use alternate root namespaces at setup() time

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Wed Oct 24 19:22:17 GMT 2007

On 10/24/2007 10:41 AM, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 09:09:34AM -0500, Peter Karman wrote:
>> </tickle>

>> This is a bit of an involved question. I'm looking mostly for feedback on
>> whether (a) what I am attempting is sane and (b) if my method for attempting it
>> is sane.
>>
>> I have a base Cat app called Foo. It implements some base controllers and
>> models, as well as the typical Foo.pm class. I want to allow folks to use it
>> like this:
>
> Have you read the previous threads on this where I went into the closest
> to sane ways possible in detail?

Do you mean other threads in the mail archive besides this one? I have searched
but did not find related topics. I have seen threads on conditionally loading
classes in MyApp, and sharing components between apps, but not in the way I am
describing.

Pointers to the threads you had in mind?

> If not, first do that.
>
> Then consider whether you'd be better helping us implement this properly
> for 5.80 since the current structure isn't really designed for it and any
> such attempt if only going to be -somewhat- sane.

I'd be happy to help with 5.80 instead of going my proposed route if 5.80 is
already far enough along that it'll see a release in the next 6mos. (Sort of
like the whole "improve Perl 5 or wait till Perl 6" deal -- I need to get work
done. ;) )

--
Peter Karman  .  peter at peknet.com  .  http://peknet.com/