[Catalyst] New engine: HTTP::Prefork

Andy Grundman andy at hybridized.org
Sun Apr 6 01:46:48 BST 2008

Finally got around to releasing an engine I have been working on for a
little bit.  I was disappointed in the POE engine and came to the
conclusion that POE, while tons of fun to use, is not the right
framework for something like a Catalyst engine.  So this engine is
designed to replace the POE engine and is more than twice as fast, a
lot more robust, and will scale much better.

It is based on Net::Server::Prefork so it has all of the preforking
features you'd expect (min servers, spares, max servers, flock-based
accept() serialization, etc).  It also requires 2 XS modules to
further improve performance: HTTP::HeaderParser::XS (formerly
Perlbal::XS::HTTPHeaders), and Cookie::XS.  I also tried to support as
many HTTP/1.1 features as possible, and so it includes support for
chunked requests, chunked responses, pipelined requests, and of course
keep-alive.

It's suitable for use as a fast development server with the same -r
restart support as the HTTP and POE engines, and should also be
suitable as a production-quality server (although it *is* still
version 0.01 :)

http://search.cpan.org/~agrundma/Catalyst-Engine-HTTP-Prefork-0.01/

-Andy