[Catalyst] RIA on Catalyst

Robert Krimen robertkrimen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 23:10:35 BST 2008

Whatever RIA framework you choose, it will probably work fine with Catalyst.
I'm using View::JSON for communication back and forth with my Ajax-y
interface.

Personally, I like using a combination of YUI, jQuery, and Jemplate.

jQuery is a nice glue framework that makes accessing/manipulating the DOM
really easy.

YUI is a robust framework with *oodles* of documentation and examples. It
has really nice, high quality widgets (autocomplete, logger, tester, menu)
and some great .css assets.
YUI also has a strong focus on cross-browser compatibility.

Jemplate is a great tool for browser-side template rendering. It's basically
TT (Template Toolkit) for javascript. Instead of rendering html by using
string concatenation (var el =3D "<select " + name + ...) you can put all
that into templates.

The above combination gives a lot of freedom in terms of the look & feel of
your web application. You can add interactivity to a basic looking web page
or even implement a complex gmail-ish interface.

As an aside, I've never been much attracted to hoisting a desktop look &
feel (dialog boxes, lots of windowy widgets) into the browser.

Finally, I've tangled with ExtJS a little bit, but I always feel like I'm
groping around in the dark with their documentation. There's lots of
API-type documentation but it could use a ton more .pm-style SYNOPSISes.

Rob