[Catalyst] Multi-language and REST

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Fri Apr 25 18:28:42 BST 2008

Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Ashley wrote:
> =

>> I agree that it's content, not formatting. If CSS/client-side-JS can =

>> (in a practical fashion) change it, it's formatting, otherwise, it's =

>> content.
> =

> I should have used the word representation. With REST, you'd have the =

> same URI for one resource, but you might offer it as HTML, JSON, and =

> plain text based on what the client requests.
> =

> Given the Accept-Language header, you could do the same thing with =

> language.
> =

> =

> -dave

Could and should. I've taken the approach using the REST controller that =

if anyone wants to get at a resource easier (easier to alter the uri =

than the headers), then use the content-type query param. I think the =

same should be true for language.

If changing Accept-Language is too much, (or people want to view a =

language other than their native), then look at language=3D in the query =

params first..if it's empty...honor Accept-Language... rather than =

forcing /<lang>/ at the front of all urls.