[Catalyst] Multi-language and REST

Ashley apv at sedition.com
Fri Apr 25 21:09:08 BST 2008

On Apr 25, 2008, at 10:28 AM, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
> If changing Accept-Language is too much, (or people want to view a
> language other than their native), then look at language= in the
> query params first..if it's empty...honor Accept-Language... rather
> than forcing /<lang>/ at the front of all urls.

I like the idea (and you could even cookie language prefs instead of
a query string solution which would be more expensive/complex with
the URI rewrites) but giving up a large chunk of one's search engine
results for a more purist interface is a pretty high price. As of
last year (haven't checked recently) the googlebot couldn't even
correctly index pages served as application/xhtml. Some bots might do
the right thing with headers for their target language base(s) but I
doubt it's many, if even a minority, of them yet.

It's not a transport issue (like HTML/PDF/JSON/XML/etc) which makes
perfect sense for header control because the clients and client-side
stuff is being written now in tandem, it's different content and the
target clients are laden with legacy behavior. I like PUT and DELETE
too but I'm not going to abandon POST as their stand-in (or fall-
back) any time soon.