[Catalyst] Re: Weak references - perl error

Dermot paikkos at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 2 11:08:39 BST 2008

2008/8/2 Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis at gmx.de>:
> * Dermot <paikkos at googlemail.com> [2008-08-02 01:40]:
>> Does your advise conflict with Tomas's?
>
> I didn't seem Tomas giving you any specific advice, so I don't
> understand how to answer your question.

My reading of Tomas's reply was that my perl was broken. It take that
to mean I have to re-compile from source and overwrite my exisitng
perl.

>> Do you think I can fix this without having to revert to
>> installing perl from source? I would rather not have have to go
>> down that route.
>
> You only need to force-install Scalar::Util, which is available
> from the CPAN separately from perl. You don't need to reinstall
> your entire perl.

I will certainly try. The machine I am talking about is at work so
I'll do that on Monday.

>> I am much happier using my package manager for this sort of
>> think than trying to install from source. It would be murder if
>> I wanted to install this on more than one server.
>
> Complain to your packager/distributor that they shipped a broken
> perl. Anyone who packages a perl of newer vintage than mid-2002,
> without Scalar::Util's XS part, is doing it wrong.

It's a CentOS 5.1 box. The original distribution worked fine. The
problem was with the updated version.
I'll see if there is a forum or similar.

Thanx,
Dp.