[Catalyst] Re: Weak references - perl error

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Sat Aug 2 06:52:05 BST 2008

* Dermot <paikkos at googlemail.com> [2008-08-02 01:40]:
> Does your advise conflict with Tomas's?

I didn’t seem Tomas giving you any specific advice, so I don’t
understand how to answer your question.

> Do you think I can fix this without having to revert to
> installing perl from source? I would rather not have have to go
> down that route.

You only need to force-install Scalar::Util, which is available
from the CPAN separately from perl. You don’t need to reinstall
your entire perl.

> I am much happier using my package manager for this sort of
> think than trying to install from source. It would be murder if
> I wanted to install this on more than one server.

Complain to your packager/distributor that they shipped a broken
perl. Anyone who packages a perl of newer vintage than mid-2002,
without Scalar::Util’s XS part, is doing it wrong.

Regards,