[Catalyst] Checking out sources with svk?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 16:07:29 BST 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:05 AM, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum
<bg271828 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im trying to check out the Catalyst sources using svk on a Debian system. The wiki says that the sources are at http://dev.catalystframework.org/svnweb/Catalyst so i took the svk advice from the Advent Calender to try to do this:
>
>  $ svk mirror http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/Catalyst //mirror/Catalyst
>  $ svk sync -r HEAD //mirror/Catalyst
>  $ svk co //mirror/Catalyst
>
> but in the first line i used http://dev.catalystframework.org/svnweb/Catalyst
> instead. I got this:
>
> $ svk mirror http://dev.catalystframework.org/svnweb/Catalyst //mirror/Catalyst
> Repository /home/jen/.svk/local does not exist, create? (y/n)y
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/lib/perl5/SVN/Core.pm line 584.
> XML data was not well-formed:
> $
>
> What am i doing wrong? Also "svk sync -r" gives an "unknown option: r" error.
>
> I havent used svk before.
>
> Could the Advent Calender be updated, or the wiki updated so thatt here are clear instructions for doing this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen

Those instructions are pretty far out of date, and the layout has
changed for the repos.  It is now more package based, and plays better
with distributed source control systems (like SVK).

All the projects are hosted under
http://dev.catalystframework.org/repos/Catalyst

But you'll have to find the one you want (and if it isn't there, check
the "trunk" dir).  As an example, here is Catalyst::Runtime:

http://dev.catalystframework.org/repos/Catalyst/Catalyst-Runtime/

In there, you have the version major, and then under that you have trunk.

So, the way I handle this is (lengthy, but I like the run down):
svk mirror //mirror/Catalyst/Catalyst-Runtime/5.70
http://dev.catalystframework.org/repos/Catalyst/Catalyst-Runtime/

You can then just do an:
svk sync //mirror/Catalyst/Catalyst-Runtime/5.70
(or, alternatively, 'svk sync -a' to sync all repos)

>From there, you have a mirror and it will behave very much like svn:
svk co //mirror/Catalyst/Catalyst-Runtime/5.70 Catalyst-Runtime
... edit ...
svk commit
# Done!

That's not using svk to its fullest potential, however, so you may
want to read through the wiki and follow some of the tutorials:
http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/HomePage

(And yes, I should wiki this but I forgot my password and waiting for
the email.  If anybody else wants to take the above and wiki it, you
have my thanks)

-J