[Catalyst] [SOT] cat webmail app?

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Aug 5 19:10:06 BST 2008

J. Shirley wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders at acm.org> wrote:
>> I think I've done my due diligence.  I've searched using Google and looked
>> through the cat website but haven't found any info on a cat based webmail
>> interface.  Heck even Perl based is tough.  And webmail may be the wrong
>> term.
>>
>> Anyone aware of a or working on a cat application to access IMAP/SMTP
>> servers?  Most of the webmail applications I could find information on were
>> designed to run on the mailbox server itself, used LDAP, and POP3.
>>
>> I'm looking for something that can run on any server and uses IMAP to access
>> the the mail.  Being able to use a separate outbound SMTP server, verses
>> using the web server, would be nice too.
>>
>> I know all the pieces are available but a completely or mostly round wheel
>> to start with would be great.
>>
>> If there is nothing available I'm thinking of starting with CaMail
>> (http://freshmeat.net/projects/camail/) and bending it into Catalyst. Any
>> thoughts on this?
>>

>> TIA,
>> Rod
>> --
>>

> To do it right, completely forget about Catalyst.  Perhaps work with
> the Perl Email Project
> (http://emailproject.perl.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page) to build
> a comprehensive package that does what you would expect a "webmail"
> client requires.

Funny you should mention this.  I was figuring I'd go that route.  I was
just hoping someone else had already started down the road.

> Then, just a simple adapter class to use that model will bind it into
> Catalyst and away you go with a webmail client.

Yes!  I'll have to look at the PEP site again to see what has been done.
  The Mailing list is pretty low volume so I mostly just glance at the
messages.

> Quite an undertaking though, but doing it in the above manner will get
> you better results (as well as potential additional contributors)

Well there are a lot of the pieces already done by the PEP people so it
might be a Lego Building Block project.  Probably a little filing and
some super glue will be required.  :-)

Rod